counter on blogger
blah blah blah
doctors and children
5:08 pm
say something! (0)
Doctors don't make good parents. Unless they:
1) work part time
2) quit their job
3) have a partner that is willing to stay at home and look after the child

We just had a lecture on child abuse and the lady from social services was just giving us a talk on how to spot neglected or abused children. One of the indicators is the time they bring their child to the A&E dept after they had the injury. Usually, a normal caring mom/dad will be panicking and dialing every emergency number if they spot that their child's arm is hanging a bit weirdly or has swelled up from a broken bone or burns. If the child's injury comes from neglect or abuse however... the parents might wait a while until they realize their kid is becoming quite ill. The lady did say that they allocate extra time for parents who are doctors. She said it's not unusual for doctors to bring their kid to the A&E dept the next day after the injury has happened, or when their respiratory infection has become a full blown pneumonia.

Further proof of that is when I was with an ENT surgeon yesterday. He was just commenting that his parents (doctors) sent his sibling who had measles to school as they probably didn't realize he was quite poorly. Each time he had a cold, he was asked to suck it up and go to school.

Which reminds me of my dad in particular

As far as I can remember... none of my siblings, my mom or I have ever been admitted to the hospital (nor have we ever saw another doctor, apart from when we were each being born I guess) Maybe because none of us has ever suffered a serious illness before (touchwood). When we are quite ill as well, we were just treated at home. I think I started taking my own medicine from standard 6. I didn't even have to tell my mom or dad I was ill because I knew what medication to take. Even when I had a nasty fall and a rock got lodged in the wound, my dad just took the rock out with a tweezer (which reminds me... it wasn't really that sterile) and put some gauze on top (with plenty of iodine). I think I prob would hv gotten 1 or 2 stitches if I was in the A&E.

I remember telling a friend in primary school that my parents were probably sick of me getting ill. Suffice to say, I was always a little jealous when I was kids on TV getting all the attention from the parents when they fall ill. With my parents, they know I can self medicate myself. hahahaha. Which isn't really safe practice I guess. Luckily none of us were dumb enough to eat medication as candies.

But then again, doctor parents can go to the opposite extremes and become total hypochondriacs. Not sure which end is better.